- Why are you doing this?
- Where is Nigeria?
- Who are you?
- What is your mission?
- What does HEVASOF mean?
- What types of wood are used?
- Can I sell pictures of the art I purchase?
- How do I purchase?
- How do I commission a piece, how long before I receive it?
- What do people do with this art?
- What about shipping?
- What is your return policy?
- What kind of people purchase this art?
- Why should I purchase from HEVASOF instead of other retailers?
- Do you work with companies as well as individuals?
I am doing this for several reasons. Primarily my desire has been to help out the talented artists in this country of amazing people. I also enjoy art, and this is something I can do, enjoy, and feel good about at the end of the day. Making these unique fine art pieces available to the rest of the world is a privilege. I have found truth in the old saying; “Pick something you enjoy and put all of your heart into and success will follow”.
Nigeria is in the middle of West Africa, in between Benin and Cameroon. It is the most populous country in Africa with over 130 million people, and despite oil wealth, the masses remain extremely poor. The North is arid, bordering on Niger and the Sahara Desert, the South is tropical jungle, with a savannah in the middle. As in many African countries, art is a part of their history that goes back as far as stories are told. In Nigeria the Yoruba and Benin tribes have been noted artists in wood, ivory, and brass for many centuries. For a map and more information about S.W. Nigeria please visit our history and culture pages.
My name is Dave Edwards. I am a health care administrator working with various clinics and organizations over the last 20+ years. I was in Nigeria for much of 2005 helping to commission a new hospital there. While there, I became acquainted with some talented artists, who despite their exceptional work were struggling financially (as so many are). We came up with the idea where I would represent these artists in the U.S., providing them with new markets and people here with access to this work.
HEVaSOF is a community of people from the U.S. and Nigeria, including artists, clients, and support staff. Yes, I include our clients. There is no company without them, and it is for the artists and clients that we exist. We share a common interest in African art and people of S.W. Nigeria, and the unique and fascinating culture there.
What is your mission?
HEVaSOF provides a trusted source for unique fine art from S.W. Nigeria, and in doing so allows us and our artists to make a excellent living wage. We encourage a more informed and tolerant world view through arts and culture.
In every interaction and activity we strive to encourage in people the characteristics of health, vigor, animation, and social feelings. We fully recognize that a thriving business must enjoy significant profits, as this is the best indication that we are truly creating value. That value allows us to further our mission.
Our core values include integrity, respect, and client service.
Integrity – This is living consistently with what you believe is right. It includes what we think, say, and do.
Respect – This is an attitude, and encompasses a recognition of the inherent worth of each individual.
Client Service – This value grows out of respect, and encourages us to make every encounter (remotely or in person) as successful as possible. We desire to create “raving fans” as the book by that title describes them.
The term HEVaSOF is an acronym which stands for things I believe in and which I try to encourage in everything I do. In this case I fulfill that desire through helping people in Nigeria and elsewhere enjoy and benefit from these beautiful works. We learn a bit about a part of the world that perhaps is new, about their customs and beliefs, and have the opportunity to acquire something which will be valued and treasured for generations.
Here's the acronym.
HE - Health
V - Vigor
A - Animation
SOF - Social Feeling
Each artist has their favorites, and it is somewhat dependant upon the seasons, what is available, and the type of wood carving. Primarily our work is done in Oro Wood, Ebony, Mahogany, and Teak. None of these woods are endangered, although some are certainly more plentiful than others. All are hard woods, and quite durable.
When you purchase art from us it is yours. You can keep it forever, gift it, burn or melt it down, sell it, or whatever you want. So you can take pictures of your art, put them on your web site, or give to friends, etc. HEVaSOF, however, retains rights in perpetuity and without obligation to the purchaser to publish the image for commercial purposes.
Back to Top
How do I purchase?
We have tried to make it as easy as possible to purchase over the web. To purchase with a credit card simply click on the “buy now” button at the bottom of every art page. If you want to use a check or money order mail it to our address:
P.O. Box 30057
Spokane, WA 99223
When we receive your check or money order we will consider the item “reserved”, but we will not ship until the check has cleared. If you have tight time constraints then call or email us and we will do everything we can to accommodate your needs. We almost always ship within 24 hours upon approved payment.
To commission an art work please email your request to email@example.com. Most requests can be handled this way. Sometimes we just need to talk in order to fully understand your desires. Typically it takes several emails, exchange of pictures or samples, research, and contact with Nigeria before we finalize a custom work. We will send you a final email with a detailed description of your request before we consider the commissioning final. After you have confirmed, and we have received your down payment, we will commission the work with a specific artist.
In an ideal circumstance, you could request something, and see it at your home or business within 4-8 weeks. It depends upon the availability of raw materials, other projects the artist has, and the size and complexity of the work requested. The best thing to do is to call and discuss exactly what you would like. I can contact the artist, and get back to you, usually, within a few days. Sometimes communications to the other side of the World are not easy, so it could take a bit longer.
We require a 50% down payment on any custom commissioned work. This tells us it is serious, and provides funds to forward to the artist to get started. This is non-refundable.
I apologize in advance for this shameless plug. We bring you the finest in unique African art, wood carvings, African masks, and Benin bronze. Clients use them to enhance their home decor, office decor, to collect, or as gifts.
Shipping and handling varies from one work to another based upon size and weight. Listed shipping costs are for within the continental U.S. only. We typically ship using UPS, but can use other shippers as needed. Your shipping cost includes insurance. When you click the “buy now” button, you will be informed what shipping is. If you want to ship outside the U.S., want to expedite shipping, or have any other concerns please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Yes, we will combine items and give you a break on shipping if it is feasible (i.e. a large Benin bronze bust does not lend itself to putting two in a box, but two smaller wood carvings could be packaged together).
We almost always ship items within 24 hours of confirmed payment. For custom commissioned work or items shipping from Nigeria we ship within 24 hours of receipt, cataloging, and photographing of the item.
Our goal is your total satisfaction. You can return the art within 30 days at no charge, no restocking fee, nothing. Simply package it in the original box and send it back. Upon receipt of the art in original condition, we will refund your original purchase price. We cannot, however, refund the shipping costs.
Custom commissioned work is non-returnable.
Our clients come in all sizes, age groups, income levels, and races. We do not discriminate. They all have one thing in common; a love of unique African art and culture. People purchase our African masks, statues, and wall hangings for home decor, office decor, collecting, and as gifts.
I don't see this as a zero sum equation. It simply depends upon what you are looking for, what you want to do. As you look at your options, Please keep several things in mind:
- This site only deals in one of a kind original works of art. Each piece is made one at a time by the listed artist, and is the only one in the World exactly like it. If another source ever asks you "how many do you want" - they are obviously not unique works of art (unless of course you commission something that way). I don't mean to diminish that business model, there is a place for it, its just not here.
- If someone sells you a carving, for example, from Africa. If the total cost to you is $40.00, how much of that after procurement, customs, shipping, marketing, merchandising, taxes, overhead, etc. was actually paid to the artist? I pay premium living wage prices for all works of art, and do my best to keep the other costs to a minimum. Nothing in life is free, however, and fine art from across the globe is no exception.
- We only deal in the finest examples of art from the best artists in this area. There are thousands of artists in Nigeria, but only a select few are represented here on this site. Of those few, we only take the best of what the artist has to offer.
- In addition to paying a fair price for each piece of art, I return 20% of any profits back to support the arts in Nigeria. When I first proposed this people were shocked, and skeptical. Exploitation is very common in Africa, and Nigeria is no exception. Business oriented friends have said I was crazy to give so much back, but I could think of no better way to create alignment and promote our broader mission on both sides of the ocean.
- Any art you purchase from this site is guaranteed as original work from that artist. You have our satisfaction guarantee that if for any reason you don't want it simply send it back in the original packaging within 30 days for a full refund (less shipping). So nothing could be safer or easier.
- Sometimes it is hard to trust a "virtual" company you only know over the internet. One thing you can do is check out my store (hevasof) and feedback on Ebay. I have over 150 transactions on Ebay - and a 100% positive feedback score. I also hope to have some client testimonials on the web site soon.
- This mission and company have intrinsic value and, frankly, it is just fun to operate. So I am here for the long run, and intend to take good care of both our wonderful artists and our wonderful clients.
We work with individuals, designers, and corporations. Looking at the gallery we certainly have some striking pieces which would enhance the decor of any office or home. If you work with an interior designer - have them check out our virtual gallery. We love working with designers.
And remember, we love taking custom requests. So if someone has a theme with multiple pieces required - Great!
Bringing you the finest in unique african art, wood carvings, african masks, and Benin bronze. Suitable for home decor, office decor, collecting, or gifts.
Bringing you the finest in unique african art, wood carvings, and african masks all suitable for home decor, office decor, collecting, or gifts.
Copyright © 2005 [HEVaSOF]. All rights reserved.